Contact: Faith Kuehn
Entomological Society of America
Free insect fair in Lancaster, Pa., on St. Patrick's Day
'It's a Bug's World' insect expo on March 17, 2013, in Lancaster, Pa.
Lancaster, PA – Thousands of insects and a swarm of entomologists will converge on Lancaster for the 84th Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America's Eastern Branch. The meeting will include a free public program for kids and parents called "It's a Bug's World." This event will be held on Sunday, March 17 from 10:00am-3:00pm at the Eden Resorts. "Bug's World" will feature interactive displays, demonstrations, crafts and artwork, including:
- Lots of live insects, displays, and Build-a-Bug from York County 4-H, Entomology
- Insects of ponds and streams – the Waterworld
- The Woodmobile and beetles that threaten Pennsylvania's forests
- Military Entomology – the role that insect scientists play in the armed forces
- Insects that hide in museums, while eating books, documents and fabric
- Chances for kids to paint watercolor insects and have their faces painted
- Focusing on the Little Things that Run the World, microscopic images that kids can photograph and email home, from Conrad Weiser FFA
- Spider folklore, bees, butterflies and much more
Video from last year's event is available at http://youtu.be/GLy1qmVlPcw.
For more information visit http://www.entsoc.org/eastern/its-bugs-world-2013.
Or contact Program organizer, Faith Kuehn, Delaware Depart. of Agriculture at (302) 698-4587 or Faith.Kuehn@state.de.us. The Best Western Eden Resort is located on 222 Eden Road, Lancaster, PA 17601, telephone 717-569-6444.
The Entomological Society of America (ESA) is the largest organization in the world dedicated to the science, magic, and mystery of the world's most abundant life form - insects. With more than 6,000 active members, the ESA helps to promote understanding of insects and solve world problems associated with them, including world hunger, disease prevention, and urban pest control. ESA is a 501c(3) not-for-profit membership society headquartered in Lanham, MD. http://www.entsoc.org.