With the growing volume of online scientific data, a new style of journal offers a digest of the research that will have a direct impact on scientists and clinicians.
The expert-driven article evaluation services, Faculty of 1000 Biology and Faculty of 1000 Medicine, are each launching a journal to complement their award-winning service. The new journals, called F1000 Reports, are unlike existing scientific journals as most of their content has already been filtered for importance by Faculty of 1000's community of over 5,000 of the world's top scientists and clinicians.
F1000 Biology Reports and F1000 Medicine Reports select and highlight the most significant and interesting articles recently evaluated on Faculty of 1000, as well as identify emerging trends within the large F1000 database of articles. In this way, F1000 Reports spot the tips of some new scientific icebergs before they become apparent elsewhere. With so much new literature for scientists and clinicians to read, F1000 Reports are easy routes to the must-read content.
Judith Rapoport, Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and Chief, Child Psychiatry Branch, National Institutes of Health comments "Having respected colleagues summarize the major advances in clinical practice is invaluable. F1000 Medicine Reports furthers the mission of F1000, which is revolutionizing global medical literacy".
Charles Stevens, Professor and Vincent J. Coates Chair in Molecular Neurobiology at the Salk Institute, adds: "F1000 Reports is the logical extension to F1000 in that it identifies hot themes based on hot papers".
The rise of online publishing has given academics a completely new platform for publishing their findings, which has been beneficial in some respects but has also contributed greatly to doctors' and scientists' sense of information overload. With human community-driven filtering, Internet users can get straight to the best online content. Faculty of 1000 has added a new level to this model with the launch of F1000 Reports.
Faculty of 1000
Dir: +44 (0) 20 7079 4881
Mob: +44 (0) 7780 701 833
Notes to Editors:
1. Please name Faculty of 1000 Biology and Faculty of 1000 Medicine in any story you write. If you are writing for the web, please link to the websites: http://www.
2. There are two Faculty of 1000s - one for Biology and one for Medicine. Designed to make sense of the vast and growing body of scholarly literature in the fields of biology and medicine, the award-winning online Faculty of 1000 service comprises over 5000 of the world's most distinguished and respected researchers and clinicians who select key recent articles and evaluate them. This 'faculty of experts' thus highlights the cutting-edge articles that make a difference to biomedical scientists in their research and to clinicians in their every-day practice, saving everybody invaluable time by highlighting their significance. The articles are identified from over 2000 of the most highly regarded biomedical journals from a wide range of publishers, and they are then graded from an expert perspective. To name just a couple of the eminent people involved:
- Jean-Louis Vincent is Head of F1000's Critical Care and Emergency Medicine Faculty and a past President of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine
- Floyd Bloom is Head of F1000's Pharmacology & Drug Discovery for F1000 Biology, a past chairman of the AAAS, and former editor-in-chief of the journal Science.
3. Please contact Ben Bland for a sample print copy of F1000 Reports or for a complimentary journalist subscription to F1000 Biology and/or F1000 Medicine.