Public release date: 30-May-2013
Contact: Lynn Celmer
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Latest sleep research to be presented June 2 - 5 at annual meeting in Baltimore
DARIEN, IL – Sleep clinicians and scientists from around the world will discuss current practices in sleep medicine and the latest findings in sleep research at SLEEP 2013, the 27th Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC (APSS), which will be held June 2-5 at the Baltimore Convention Center.
This year's program (available at http://www.sleepmeeting.org) includes symposia, clinical workshops and discussion groups on topics ranging from neuroscience and genetics to dreams, sleep deprivation and aging. Clinical sleep specialists also will discuss current practices in the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders such as insomnia, narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea.
Among the highlights:
- About 1,300 research abstracts will be presented, and press releases highlighting some of the intriguing research at SLEEP 2013 will be distributed prior to and during the meeting. Interviews with authors and expert spokespersons can be scheduled by request. For all SLEEP 2013 press releases, subscribe to the AASM RSS feed.
- Updates and discussion on social media: Follow @aasmorg and @aasmpr on Twitter for live updates and use the official hashtag #SLEEP2013 to see what attendees are saying. "Like" the American Academy of Sleep Medicine on Facebook at Facebook.com/sleepmedicine for photos, videos and more.
- During the plenary session on Monday, June 3, the keynote address, "Evolution of Insomnia: Patient to Population, Primary to Comorbid, Laboratory to Clinic and Pathophysiology to Therapeutics," will be presented by Thomas Roth, PhD, director of the Sleep Disorders and Research Center at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit.
- Gary H. Gibbons, MD, director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), will give a second keynote address, "NIH and Advances in Sleep Research: Past, Present and Future Opportunities."
- The future of sleep medicine will be the topic of an invited lecture on Tuesday, June 4, by Nancy A. Collop, MD, past president of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and director of the Emory Sleep Center at Emory University in Atlanta.
- Selected late-breaking abstracts will be presented during the afternoon of Wednesday, June 5.
- Throughout the meeting about 115 exhibitors will showcase the latest products and services available in the field of sleep medicine.
The APSS is a joint venture of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society. To be placed on the mailing list for SLEEP 2013 press releases or to register for SLEEP 2013 press credentials, contact AASM Communications Coordinator Lynn Celmer at 630-737-9700, ext. 9364, or at email@example.com.
AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert! system.