WHAT: Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO: 2013)
WHEN/WHERE: June 9 - 14 (Exhibits open June 11-13) at the San Jose Convention Center, San Jose, Calif.
DETAILS: CLEO: 2013, the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, is the premier international forum for scientific and technical optics--from fundamental laser science to photonic applications and products. CLEO: 2013 builds on the long-established CLEO/QELS conference and its world-renowned peer-reviewed program. CLEO: 2013 offers high-quality content in five core event elements featuring breakthrough research and applied innovations in ultrafast lasers, energy-efficient optics, quantum electronics, biophotonics and more.
- 300 participating companies in the laser and electro-optics industry
- Comprehensive technical program featuring hundreds of sessions covering the most important technical developments, including hot topic areas such as quantum optics, terahertz technologies, nano-photonics, "green" photonics, industrial manufacturing, and more.
CLEO: 2013 Press Luncheon
Tuesday, June 11, 12 - 1 p.m., Room 230A, San Jose Convention Center A private press -only lunch event will feature presentations from three of the field's leading researchers, representing the depth and breadth of the conference program. A new round-robin format this year will give press direct access to each presenter in a small group setting, engaging in one-on-one discussion before moving on to the next researcher and topic.
- Paul Crump, Ferdinand-Braun Institut, Germany "Cryolaser: Innovative Cryogenic Diode Laser Bars Optimized for Emerging Ultra-high Power Laser Applications"
- Joseph Lukens, Purdue University, USA "A Telecom-Based Temporal Cloak"
- Axel Scherer, California Institute of Technology, USA "From Lab-on-a-Chip to Lab-in-the-Body: Miniaturization of Diagnostic Tools"
- Iain McKinnie, Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Center, USA Moderator and CLEO: 2013 Program Co-Chair
Tuesday, June 11, 8:15 a.m. and Wednesday, June 12, 8:30 a.m., San Jose Civic Auditorium
CLEO: 2013 hosts two Plenary Sessions featuring keynote addresses from laser science luminaries across the globe:
- Paul Corkum, Joint Attosecond Science Laboratory, University of Ottawa and National Research Council, Canada "Attosecond Photonics"
- Stephen Harris, Stanford University, USA "Parametric Down Conversion Over Fifty Years: From Microwaves to X-rays"
- Kumar Patel, Pranalytica, Inc., USA "QCLs Revolutionizing MWIR and LWIR Applications"
Monday, June 10 - Friday, June 14, San Jose Convention Center and Marriott San Jose
This year's Special Symposia represent a broad range of topics such as lab-on-a-chip applications, optogenetics and optical control of biological processes, terahertz technologies, advances in extreme UV science and applications and more.
Post-Deadline Paper Session
Thursday, June 13, 8 - 10 p.m., Marriott San Jose
Post-deadline papers give conference attendees the opportunity to hear new and significant research in rapidly advancing areas at the earliest possible opportunity. The post-deadline session highlights only those papers judged to be truly excellent and compelling in their timeliness.
Tuesday, June 11 - Thursday, June 13, San Jose Convention Center In addition to the 300 participating companies from across the globe, CLEO: Expo features show floor programming that highlights business trends and market applications.
Tuesday, June 11 and Wednesday, June 12, Exhibit Hall, San Jose Convention Center
Part of the CLEO: Applications & Technology program, these sessions focus on the latest trends in the photonics marketplace. A key feature of the program will be a survey of market trends and market sector outlook. Panel topics include:
- Industrial Laser Outlook and Opportunities
- Photonics Entrepreneurs
- Medical and Aesthetic Lasers - The Future of Light-tissue Interactions
- Optics & Innovation for Energy & the Environment
Tuesday, June 11 - Thursday, June 13, Exhibit Hall, San Jose Convention Center
Back by popular demand, the CLEO: Expo Technology Playground features hands-on demonstrations from select CLEO: Expo exhibitors. Attendees will get to interact one-on-one with products and innovations from companies including IDEX Optics and Photonics, KMLabs, Newport Corporation, Optimax, PicoLuz, Princeton Instruments, and more.
Thursday, June 13, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., Exhibit Hall, San Jose Convention Center The CLEO Technology Transfer Program provides a forum for entrepreneurs and researchers from start-ups, major universities, businesses and national laboratories to present exciting new technologies which are ready and available for commercialization.
Wednesday, June 12, 5 - 6:30 p.m., Exhibit Hall, San Jose Convention Center
This event, hosted by The Optical Society (OSA) Corporate Associates Program, allows for an entertaining and informal conversation with luminaries from the optics and photonics industry as they respond to questions about their career paths, corporate observations and personal perspectives. This year Martin Seifert, president, Nufern, will be interviewed by Stephen D. Fantone, president & CEO, Optikos.
CLEO: Applications & Technology - The CLEO: Applications & Technology program explores the intersection of academic research with product commercialization. Featured session talks include:
- "Smartphone-Based Optical Detection of Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated Herpesvirus DNA" by David Erickson, Cornell University, USA Monday, June 10, 2 p.m., Marriott San Jose
- "High-throughput Imaging of Single Viruses using Self-assembled Nano-lenses and On-Chip Holography" by Aydogan Ozcan, UCLA, USA Wednesday, June 12, 12:15 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
- "Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) Light-Emitting Diodes (LEDs) to Maintain Freshness and Phytochemical Composition During Postharvest Storage" by Stephen Britz , U.S. Department of Agriculture Thursday, June 13, 2:45 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
CLEO: Science & Innovations - The "classic" CLEO program that for more than 35 years has covered applied research and innovations in lasers, optical materials, and photonic devices. Hot topics to be covered this year include laser processing of materials, terahertz technologies, high-field and ultrafast optics, and biophotonics. Featured session talks include:
- "Clinical Detection of Viral Infection on an Optofluidic Chip" by Philip Measor, University of California, Santa Cruz, USA Monday, June 10, 9:45 a.m., San Jose Convention Center
- "Printed Hybrid Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diodes For Lighting Applications" by Delaina A. Amos, University of Louisville, USA Friday, June 14, 9:15 a.m., San Jose Convention Center
CLEO: QELS - Fundamental Science - The Quantum Electronics and Laser Science (QELS) program continues to be the premier venue for discussion of fundamental research in optical and laser physics-related areas. More recent additions include fields such as quantum information science, nanophotonics, and metamaterials. A featured session talk includes:
- "How Secure is Quantum Cryptography?" by Renato Renner, Institute for Theoretical Physics, Switzerland Tuesday, June 11, 2 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
PRESS REGISTRATION: A Press Room for credentialed press and analysts will be located on-site in the San Jose Convention Center, June 9 -13. Media interested in attending the conference should register on the CLEO website or contact Brielle Day at 202.416.1435, firstname.lastname@example.org.
With a distinguished history as the industry's leading event on laser science, the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) is where laser technology was first introduced. CLEO unites the field of lasers and electro-optics by bringing together all aspects of laser technology, with content stemming from basic research to industry application. CLEO: Expo showcases the latest products and applications from more than 300 participating companies from around the world, providing hands-on demonstrations of the latest market innovations and applications. The Expo also offers valuable on-floor programming, including Market Focus and the Technology Transfer program.
Sponsored by the American Physical Society's (APS) Laser Science Division, the IEEE Photonics Society and the Optical Society (OSA), CLEO provides the full range of critical developments in the field, showcasing the most significant milestones from laboratory to marketplace. With an unparalleled breadth and depth of coverage, CLEO connects all of the critical vertical markets in lasers and electro-optics. For more information, visit the conference's website at http://www.