The Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP) annual conference in Austin, TX, from Feb. 13-15, will feature 80 symposia and more than 2,000 posters on new research in a range of topics - the link between parenting and happiness, social impacts on health, the environment's effects on creativity, factors in the academic gender gap, and more. Join 3,500 behavioral scientists in sunny Austin!
The meeting kicks off on Thursday, Feb. 13 with the Presidential Symposium on how big data and new technologies are changing the social sciences.
Among symposia of interest are the following:
- Let's Get Connected: New and Untapped Routes to Social Connection - Feb. 14, 9:45-11:00am, Ballroom D
- When to Judge a Book by Its Cover: Timing, Context, and Individual Differences in First Impressions - Feb. 14, 9:45-11:00am, Ballroom B/C
- The Next Frontier in Social Support and Health Research: Clarifying the Micro-Level Mechanisms - Feb. 14, 9:45-11:00am, Room 6
- The Devil Is in the Details: Revealing the Complexities of the Relationship Between Parenthood and Well-Being - Feb. 14, 11:15am-12:30pm, Room 6
- The Role of Ability Beliefs in Academic Gender Gaps - Feb. 14, 2:00-3:15pm, Room 17
- Like Water for the Fish: Features of the Environment Produce Big Effects on Cooperation, Attention, Self-Control, and Even Creativity - Feb. 15, 3:30-4:45pm, Ballroom E/F
- New Evidence for Responsiveness as an Organizing Construct in the Study of Relationships - Feb. 15, 3:30-4:45pm, Ballroom A
- The Sociality of Sustainability: How (and When) Groups Impact Environmental Cognition and Behavior - Feb. 15, 11:15am-12:30pm, Room 18 C/D
- The Psychology of Ingroup-Outgroup Distinctions in the Aftermath of Terrorism - Feb. 15, 5:00-6:15pm, Room 19
- Ubiquity of Social Hierarchies: How Status, Class, and Power Shape Behavioral and Neural Processes in Multiple Social Contexts - Feb. 15, 5:00-6:15pm, Ballroom B/C
Abstracts for all symposia are available on the meeting website.
SPSP is providing a Press Room (Room 16B) for registered members of the media to work and to attend a press briefing on Feb. 14 on the Science of First Impressions.
The Press Room, which will include Wi-Fi, will be open:
- Feb. 13, 2014: 4:15-6:30 pm
- Feb. 14, 2014: 8:00am-6:00pm
- Feb. 15, 2014: 8:00am-6:00pm
Register online now for the SPSP 2014 conference.
Book your hotel by Jan 22 to receive our discounted group rate at convenient downtown Austin hotels.
Read our November 2013 Media Advisory for more information on other special sessions.
For all media inquiries, please contact: