SAN DIEGO- At the Plenary Session of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) 2014 National Biotechnology Conference, AAPS President Marilyn Morris, Ph. D. will present the following ground-breaking researchers with awards commemorating their contributions to the pharmaceutical biotechnology:
AAPS Excellence in Ligand Binding Assays Award
Sponsored by Eurofins Pharma Bioanalytics Services US Inc.
- Megan Crossley, M.S. Janssen Research & Development, LLC "Development and Validation of an Electrochemiluminesecence-Based Competitive Ligand Binding Neutralizing Antibody (NAb) Assay with Improved Tolerance to Circulating Drug and Drug Target"
AAPS Distinction in Biomarkers Research Award
Sponsored by Biogen Idec
- Lawrence J. Lesko, Ph.D., F.C.P. University of Florida
AAPS Innovation in Biotechnology Awards
Sponsored by Genentech
- Jiajie Yu, Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology "BIO-MIMETICS Microphysiological System: Establishing a Human In Vitro Platform for Pharmacology Studies"
- Lin Niu, M.S. University of Minnesota "Intradermal Delivery of High Volume Polymeric Nanoparticle Based Vaccine Formulation Using a Hollow Microneedle System"
- Ken Qian, Ph.D. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) "A Bench Top Optical Method to Predict the Stability of Lyophilized Protein Formulations Using Fluorescence Stokes Shift"
- Bonnie Wu, Ph.D. Janssen Research & Development, LLC "A Homogeneous Two Color Time Resolved Fluorescence (HTRF)-Based Assay for the Assessment of Neutralizing Antibody Responses to a Bispecific Therapeutic in Human Serum"
- Fang Zheng, Ph.D. University of Kentucky "Rational Design of Human Butyrylcholinesterase Mutants with Improved Catalytic Efficiency against Cocaine"
AAPS Biomarkers Best Abstract Awards
Sponsored by Bioscale, Inc.
- Chase Shen, Ph.D. Biogen Idec "Urine Urea Impacts the Accuracy of Soluble Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule 1 (sVCAM-1) Urinary Immunoassay"
- Christine Rivera Tandem Labs "The Development and Validation of an Ultra Sensitive ELISA Method for the Determination of Tartrate-Resistant Acid Phosphate 5 (TRAP) in Human Serum"
- Lorella Di Donato, Ph.D. Caprion Proteomics "A Multiplexed MRM Assay for the Measurement of Human CSF Candidate Protein Biomarkers in Control, Mild-Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer's Disease Patients"
- Nann Green, Ph.D. Eurofins Pharma Bioanalytics Services US Inc. "Phenotypic Characterization of Leucine-rich Repeat Kinase 2 (Lrrk2) Knockout Rat Model. A Multi Parameter Cross Platform Biomarker Study"
Biotechnology Graduate Student Symposium Awards
Sponsored by Eli Lilly & Company
- Haresh Tukaram More, M.Tech. New York University "Supercharged Coiled-coil protein base Lipoproteolplexes for Gene and Drug Delivery"
- Neel M. Fofaria, B.Pharm. Texas Tech University "Novel Role of Stat-3 in Anoikis Resistance and Tumor Cell Metastasis"
- Ranajoy Majumdar, M.S. University of Kansas "H/D Exchange Mass Spectrometry Provides New Insights on the Role of Local Dynamics in Stabilization of an IgG1 Monoclonal Antibody by Excipients and Salts"
- Te-Wei Chu, M.S. University of Utah "A Novel Anti-Lymphoma Therapeutic Platform Mediated by Self-Assembly of Hybrid Nanoconjugates"
To request an interview with or photograph of a 2014 Award Winner, please contact Kimberly Brown at BrownK@aaps.org or 703-248-4772.
About the 2014 AAPS National Biotechnology Conference:
The 2014 AAPS National Biotechnology Conference (NBC) will gather scientists from industry, government, and academia for three days of educational offerings specifically geared toward the biotechnology sector of the pharmaceutical sciences. This year, attendees will be able to attend one conference organized into four conference workstreams: biomanufacturing, biomarker and Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic (PK/PD), research and discovery, and immunogenicity and administration routes. An integrated program will examine both theory and application from multiple perspectives including discovery, development, engineering, and regulatory aspects.
The 2014 NBC programming will consist of a plenary session, 20 symposia, 6 roundtables, contributed paper poster presentations, four hot topics, and a late-breaking session. Additionally, an exposition hall will be hosting over 110 major companies featuring new technologies. There will also be job boards available highlighting new, biotechnology career opportunities. Follow us on Twitter @AAPSComms; official Twitter hashtag for the meeting is #2014NBC.
The American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists is a professional, scientific society of approximately 11,000 members employed in academia, industry, government and other research institutes worldwide. Founded in 1986, AAPS provides a dynamic international forum for the exchange of knowledge among scientists to serve the public and enhance their contributions to health. AAPS offers timely scientific programs, on-going education, information resources, opportunities for networking, and professional development. Visit http://www.