PUBLIC RELEASE DATE: 3-Nov-2004
Contact: Stephen L. Davidow
Director, Media Services
Loyola University Health System
Loyola's Burn Center offers winter holiday safety tips to prevent house fires, burn injuries
MAYWOOD, Ill. – The Burn Center at Loyola University Medical Center is urging the public to be careful when decorating their homes for the holidays because many electrical appliances and seasonal decorations pose a potential fire hazard.
To help make the holidays a joyous time, Loyola is launching a burn prevention public service campaign to help people reduce the risk of house fires and burn injuries. The safety tips are available in English and Spanish on Loyola's Web site: www.luhs.org/burnprevention
Key tips for the winter holidays include:
- Keep holiday electrical decorations and lights away from children and pets.
- Holiday decorations should be non-combustible or made of flame resistant or flame retardant materials.
- Only use space heaters, electrical lights and appliances that have been approved by an independent testing laboratory. Follow manufacturers' directions.
- Inspect all lights before plugging them in; even if they are new.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or extension cords.
- Unplug all Christmas tree lights before you leave the house or go to bed.
- Position live trees away from fireplaces, space heaters and radiators.
- Keep a clear path in all rooms in case you have to exit quickly. Gift wrapping, boxes, mail shipments can crowd up the room.