Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory advances the understanding
of the fundamental nature of matter and energy by providing leadership
and resources for qualified researchers to conduct basic research
at the frontiers of high energy physics and related disciplines.
Fermi Lab, originally named the National Accelerator Laboratory,
was commissioned by the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, under a
bill signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson on November 21, 1967.
Founding Director Robert R. Wilson committed the laboratory to
firm principles of scientific excellence, esthetic beauty, stewardship
of the land, fiscal responsibility and equality of opportunity.
Universities Research Association built the laboratory, and has
operated the facility under those principles since its founding.
On May 11, 1974, the laboratory was renamed in honor of 1938 Nobel
Prize winner Enrico Fermi, one of the preeminent physicists of
the atomic age.
The Department of Energy's Office of Science is the single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States and is working to address some of the most pressing challenges of our time.