- Five (5) years or less of experience as a professional science reporter or freelancer
- Based in China, India, the Balkan region1, Central and South America2, or Arab-majority states in the Middle East3
- Meet EurekAlert!'s reporter and freelancer eligibility criteria
- Be able to travel to the 2020 AAAS Annual Meeting in Seattle, Washington, USA, February 13-16, 2020.
- Proof of employment and length of service with an accredited news media outlet
- Three recently published work samples4
- Letter of recommendation from an editor or senior reporter (in English)
- Brief essay (in English)
1 Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Turkey
2 Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
3 Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian Territories (West Bank, Gaza Strip), Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates
4 Published work samples in Chinese, Arabic, Spanish and Portuguese language are accepted by applicants in the corresponding regions. Applicants from India and the Balkan region must supply English translations of their published work samples in order to be considered.