Applicants must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible to receive the fellowship:
- Five (5) years or less of experience as a professional science reporter or freelancer
- Based in China, India, the Balkan region1, Central and South America2, or Arab-majority states in the Middle East3
- Meet EurekAlert!'s reporter and freelancer eligibility criteria
- Be able to travel to a future AAAS Annual Meeting within the next five (5) years, held in a to-be-determined location in the United States
Applications must include all of the following:
- Proof of employment and length of service with an accredited news media outlet (What is an accredited news media outlet?)
- Three (3) original, bylined science reporting work samples published within the last 18 months4
- Letter of recommendation from an editor or senior reporter (in English)
- Brief essay (in English)
Applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirements listed above, and/or incomplete applications, will not be considered for the fellowship.
1 Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Turkey
2 Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
3 Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian Territories (West Bank, Gaza Strip), Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
4Published work samples in Chinese, Arabic, Spanish and Portuguese language are accepted by applicants in the corresponding regions. Applicants from India and the Balkan region must supply English translations of their published work samples in order to be considered.