Awards will be presented in three categories:
- Consumer Print--Includes newspapers, magazines and online publications written for the general public.
- Trade Print--Includes newspaper, magazine and online publications written for health care professionals.
- Radio & Television--Includes national and local pieces developed for the general public.
Entries will be judged on the quality with which each piece:
- Raises public awareness about some aspect of allergic disease.
- Recognizes the allergist as the expert and most appropriate provider for the diagnosis and treatment of allergic and immunologic diseases.
- Directs the reader/listener to additional resources to further understand the issue.
- Is medically accurate.
- Is creative and the quality of writing/reporting is excellen
All journalists are eligible to enter the Samter Awards program. Entries must have been published or broadcast between September 1, 2002 and August 31, 2003. For an entry form and more information on the Samter Journalism Award, visit the Media Information Hub of the AAAAI Web site at http://www.
The AAAAI is the largest professional medical specialty organization in the United States representing allergists, asthma specialists, clinical immunologists, allied health professionals and others with a special interest in the research and treatment of allergic disease. Allergy/immunology specialists are pediatric or internal medicine physicians who have elected an additional two years of training to become specialized in the treatment of asthma, allergy and immunologic disease. Established in 1943, the Academy has nearly 6,000 members in the United States, Canada and 60 other countries. The Academy serves as an advocate to the public by providing educational information through its Web site at www.aaaai.org or the toll free physician referral and information line at 1-800-822-2762.