Springer and the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) announce the publication of strategic reports planning the next 40 years of progress in science and technology (S&T). The first general report will be presented by Prof. Jiaofeng Pan, representative from the CAS together with the Chinese STM publisher Science Press and Springer during a press conference on 14 October 2009 at the Frankfurt Book Fair. All reports are co-published in English by Springer and Science Press. The Chinese edition is published by Science Press.
Besides the general report, this project comprises 18 sub-group reports covering over a dozen scientific disciplines. According to the CAS report, it is necessary to conduct this strategic research for the future of China and all of mankind as well. The past 250 years of industrialization have resulted in a modernized, improved standard of living for almost one billion people. The next 40 years will bring improvements and a better life to a population of two to three billion as well as challenge the limited resources and eco-environment on earth.
The project was sponsored by the Chinese Academy of Sciences with the goal of presenting a detailed scenario for China's modernization drive to 2050. It was initiated in July and August 2008 under the guidance of CAS President Dr. Yongxiang Lu. Over 300 CAS scholars from over 80 CAS institutes contributed to this research.
The first volume of the book series, the general report, analyzes the evolution and laws governing the development of science and technology, describes the decisive impact of science and technology on the modernization process, and calls for China to be fully prepared for this new round of S&T advancement. Supported by illustrations and tables of data, the volumes will provide researchers, government officials and entrepreneurs with guidance concerning research directions, the planning process, and investment. The CAS invited the nation's most experienced and respected scientists and engineers to contribute to the reports.
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (www.english.cas.cn) is the nation's highest academic institution in natural sciences. Its major responsibilities are to conduct research in basic and technological sciences, to undertake nationwide integrated surveys on natural resources and ecological environment, to provide the country with scientific data and consultations for government decision-making, to undertake government-assigned projects with regard to key S&T problems in the process of socio-economic development, to initiate personnel training, and to promote China's high-tech enterprises by its active involvement in these areas.
Springer (www.springer.com) is a leading global scientific publisher of books and journals, delivering quality content through innovative information products and services. It publishes close to 500 academic and professional society journals. Springer is part of the publishing group Springer Science+Business Media. In the science, technology and medicine (STM) sector, the group publishes around 2,000 journals and more than 6,500 new books a year, as well as the largest STM eBook Collection worldwide. Springer has operations in about 20 countries in Europe, the USA, and Asia, and more than 5,000 employees.
The press conference will take place at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2009, Wednesday, 14 October 2009, from 2:30:00 pm, China Booth, Hall 6
For more information, please contact: Renate Bayaz, tel +49-6221-487-8531, email@example.com
- General Report - Science & Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Energy Science & Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Space Science & Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Marine Science & Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Science & Technology of Public Health in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Advanced Materials Science & Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Science & Technology of Bio-hylic and Biomass Resources in China: A Roadmap to 2050
To be published by June 2010:
- Mineral Resources Science & Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Ecological and Environmental Science & Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Water Resources in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Agricultural Science and Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Information Science and Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Hydrocarbon Resources in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Advanced Manufacturing Science and Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Regional Development in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Large-Scale Scientific Facilities in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Key Interdisciplinary Cutting-Edge Science and Technology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Nanotechnology in China: A Roadmap to 2050
- Country and Public Safety in China: A Roadmap to 2050