WHAT: The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) will join together for the first time at the regional meeting and panel discussion on "Engineering Innovations in Healthcare" at the University of Miami. Hosted by James M. Tien, Ph.D., DEng (h.c.), NAE, Distinguished Professor and Dean of the College of Engineering, and Daniel Berg, PhD, NAE, Distinguished Research Professor of Engineering. A world-renowned group of speakers will convene for an afternoon of intriguing remarks, presentations, and a panel discussion, moderated by University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.
HOW: The event is free and open to the public but reservations are needed.
Contact Odalis Ruiz, 305-284-6035, firstname.lastname@example.org
WHEN/WHERE: Thursday, February 25, 2010, at The Storer Auditorium, University of Miami Coral Gables campus, 5250 University Drive.
1:30 PM WELCOMING REMARKS
- Dr. Daniel Berg, member of NAE and distinguished research professor at the University of Miami College of Engineering. He served as technical director at Westinghouse and former Dean and Provost at Carnegie-Mellon University. Berg was also Provost, President and institute professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Dr. James M. Tien, member of NAE and Dean of the University of Miami College of Engineering. He has held leadership positions at Bell Telephone Laboratories, at the Rand Corporation and at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he served as faculty member and Acting Dean of Engineering.
- Dr. Donna E. Shalala, President of the University of Miami and member of IOM. She served as Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and as President of Hunter College of the City University of New York and is the longest serving U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services in American history.
- Dr. Charles M. Vest, President of NAE, and President Emeritus of MIT. He is a professor of mechanical engineering at MIT and formerly at the University of Michigan. Vest has served on the U.S. President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and was Vice Chair for the U.S. Council on Competitiveness.
- Dr. Harvey V. Fineberg, President of IOM. He served as Provost of Harvard University and as Dean of the Harvard School of Public Health.
2:00-3:30 PM PRESENTATIONS:
- "Autonomous Innovations in Healthcare" by Dr. Pascal Goldschmidt, Senior Vice President for medical affairs and Dean of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. He is also CEO of the University of Miami Health System (UHealth).
- "Biomedical Informatics: The Scientific Basis for the Use of IT in Biomedicine and Healthcare" by Dr. William Stead, member of IOM and Associate Vice Chancellor for health affairs, chief strategy and information officer of the McKesson Foundation. He is also professor of medicine at McKesson Foundation and at Vanderbilt University.
- "Engineering Models in Healthcare" by Dr. Van C. Mow, member of NAE and IOM. He is a member of Taiwan's Academia Sinica, the World's UNESCO and Chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Columbia University.
- "Engineering the Systems of Healthcare Delivery" by Dr. William Rouse, member of NAE and Executive Director of the Tennenbaum Institute at the Georgia Institute of Technology and professor in the College of Computing and School of Industrial Systems Engineering.
4:30 PM PANEL DISCUSSION, Moderated by President Shalala