WHAT: Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO: 2014)
WHEN/WHERE: June 8 - 13 (Exhibits open June 10-12) at the San Jose Convention Center, San Jose, California, USA.
DETAILS: CLEO: 2014, the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, is the premier international forum for scientific and technical optics providing the full range of critical developments in the field, showcasing the most significant milestones from laboratory to marketplace. Well-known for its world-renowned peer-reviewed program, CLEO unites the field of lasers and electro-optics by bringing together all aspects of laser technology and offers high-quality content featuring breakthrough research and applied innovations.
- 250 participating companies in the laser and electro-optics industry
- Comprehensive technical research program featuring hundreds of scientific sessions covering the most important technical developments, including hot topic areas such as photonics for brain mapping, molecular imaging, high-power lasers, nanophotonics, optofluidics, nonlinear optics, quantum optics and more.
Tuesday, June 10, 8:15 a.m. and Wednesday, June 11, 8:30 a.m., San Jose Convention Center
CLEO: 2014 hosts two Plenary Sessions featuring keynote addresses from laser science luminaries across the globe:
- Gerhard Rempe, Max-Planck-Institut fur Quantenoptik, Germany
"Quantum Coherent Networks"
- Larry A. Coldren, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
"Photonic Integrated Circuits as Key Enablers for Datacom, Telecom and Sensor Systems"
- David Payne, University of Southampton, UK
"Fibers and the Future"
Monday, June 9 - Friday, June 13, San Jose Convention Center and Marriott San Jose
This year's 15 Special Symposia represent a broad range of topics such as neurophotonics, photonics for miniaturization, silicon photonic integration, laser processing for consumer electronics and nanobiophotonics, as well as a Special Symposium in Memory of James Gordon and the Howard Schlossberg Retirement Symposium.
Post-Deadline Paper Session
Thursday, June 12, 8 - 10 p.m., Marriott San Jose
Post-deadline papers give conference attendees the opportunity to hear new and significant research in rapidly advancing areas at the earliest possible opportunity. The post-deadline session highlights only those papers judged to be truly excellent and compelling in their timeliness.
Tuesday, June 10 - Thursday, June 12, San Jose Convention Center
In addition to the 250 participating companies from across the globe, CLEO: Expo features show floor programming that highlights business trends and market applications.
Tuesday, June 10 and Wednesday, June 11, Exhibit Hall, San Jose Convention Center
Part of the CLEO: Applications & Technology program, these sessions focus on the latest trends in the photonics marketplace. A key feature of the program will be a survey of market trends and market sector outlook. Panel topics include:
- Emerging Mid-Infrared Market Opportunities: Air Quality Monitoring Related to Energy Extraction
- The Solid-State Lighting Revolution: How LEDs are Transforming the $75 Billion Lighting Market
- Operational Strategies for the Laser and Photonics Industry
- The Future of "Enabling" Photonics Innovation
Tuesday, June 10 - Thursday, June 12, Exhibit Hall, San Jose Convention Center
The CLEO: Expo Technology Playground features hands-on demonstrations from select CLEO: Expo exhibitors. Attendees will get to interact one-on-one with products and innovations from companies including attocube systems, Aurea Technology, Edmund Optics, IDEX Optics and Photonics, Menlo Systems, Newport Corporation, Optimax and more. The program also features a contest where participants can win an Apple gift card.
Thursday, June 12, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., Exhibit Hall, San Jose Convention Center
New to the Technology Transfer Program this year is a Pitch Panel for entrepreneurs to showcase their technology, explain why it is valuable and discuss the next steps to commercialization. In addition, the program will continue to provide a tutorial for those that want to learn more about the licensing process--funding, entrepreneurship, technology transfer and intellectual property. In addition, organizations will feature their license-ready technologies at tabletop displays in the exhibit hall.
Wednesday, June 11, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
Collocated with CLEO: 2014, this workshop from The Optical Society (OSA) is hosted by two renowned scientists in the field of laser therapeutics: Rox Anderson, Harvard Medical School & Massachusetts General Hospital and Adela Ben-Yakar, University of Texas at Austin. The program will bring together leading scientists and clinicians in the optical diagnostics and laser therapeutics areas to cover topics such as unsolved problems for clinical laser surgery, the role of skin optics in laser diagnostics and therapy, plasmonic nanobubbles for detecting and treating incurable cancer, robotics-assisted laser surgery and more.
Thursday, June 12, 9:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m., and Friday, June 13, 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
OIDA and the Ethernet Alliance are partnering to host a workshop, collocated with CLEO: 2014, on 100GbE single-channel interconnects for data center networks. The workshop aims to address the challenge of commercializing single-channel 100GbE optical communications and will address whether 100GbE will or will not happen, especially with regard to other technical approaches, such as parallel channels.
CLEO: Applications & Technology - The CLEO: Applications & Technology program explores the intersection of academic research with product commercialization. Featured session talks include:
- "Clinical Translation and Discovery with Near-infrared Fluorescence Lymphatic Imaging," by John Rasmussen, University of Texas Health Science Center, USA, Monday, June 9, 8 a.m., Marriott San Jose
- "Real-time Epidural Anesthesia Guidance Using Optical Coherence Tomography Needle Probe" by Qinggong Tang, University of Maryland, USA, Monday, June 9, 11:15 a.m., Marriott San Jose
- "Method for Increasing the Operating Distance of MEMS LIDAR beyond Brownian Noise Limitation," by Behnam Behroozpour, University of California, Berkeley, USA, Wednesday, June 11, 4:45 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
- "Terahertz Reflectometry of Multi-layered Paint Thicknesses and Estimation of Particle Sizes" by Anis Rahman, Applied Research and Photonics Inc., USA, Wednesday, June 11, 5:15 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
- "Optical Coherence Imaging of Microvascular Oxygenation and Hemodynamics" by Shau Poh Chong, University of California, Davis, USA, Thursday, June 12, 8:30 a.m. Marriott San Jose
CLEO: Science & Innovations - The "classic" CLEO program that for more than 35 years has covered applied research and innovations in lasers, optical materials, and photonic devices. Hot topics to be covered this year include laser processing of materials, terahertz technologies, high-field and ultrafast optics, and biophotonics. A featured session talk includes:
- "Overview and On-orbit Performance of the Lunar Laser Communication Demonstration Uplink," by Mark Stevens, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, USA, Monday, June 9, 4 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
- "3-D Visualization of Dental Anatomy in Ancient Fossil Vertebrates by Using Third Harmonic Generation Microscopy," by Yu-Cheng Chen, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, Thursday, June 12, 2:45 p.m., Marriott San Jose
CLEO: QELS - Fundamental Science - The Quantum Electronics and Laser Science (QELS) program continues to be the premier venue for discussion of fundamental research in optical and laser physics-related areas. More recent additions include fields such as quantum information science, nanophotonics, and metamaterials. A featured session talk includes:
- "Hand-Held Plasmonic Biosensor for High-Throughput Sensing for Point-of-Care Applications," by Arif E. Cetin, Boston University,USA and EPFL, Switzerland, Monday, June 9, 2 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
- "Transparent Displays Enabled by Resonant Nanoparticle Scattering," by Chia Wei Hsu, MIT and Harvard University, USA, Wednesday, June 11, 4:30 p.m., San Jose Convention Center
PRESS REGISTRATION: A Press Room for credentialed press and analysts will be located on-site in the San Jose Convention Center, June 8 - 12. Media interested in attending the event should register on the CLEO website or contact Lyndsay Meyer at 202.416.1435 or email@example.com.
With a distinguished history as the industry's leading event on laser science, the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) is where laser technology was first introduced. CLEO unites the field of lasers and electro-optics by bringing together all aspects of laser technology, with content stemming from basic research to industry application. CLEO: Expo showcases the latest products and applications from more than 300 participating companies from around the world, providing hands-on demonstrations of the latest market innovations and applications. The Expo also offers valuable on-floor programming, including Market Focus and the Technology Transfer program.
Managed by The Optical Society (OSA) and sponsored by the American Physical Society's (APS) Laser Science Division, the IEEE Photonics Society and OSA, CLEO provides the full range of critical developments in the field, showcasing the most significant milestones from laboratory to marketplace. With an unparalleled breadth and depth of coverage, CLEO connects all of the critical vertical markets in lasers and electro-optics. For more information, visit the event website at http://www.