NEW ORLEANS - Awards presented today at the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI) 2017 Scientific Session in New Orleans recognize outstanding SCAI members for their ongoing contributions to the field of interventional cardiology, the Society and patient care. Honorees span a broad spectrum of practitioners, all of whom have demonstrated a commitment to excellence throughout their careers, helping to shape the Society as well as the lives of patients and mentees.
The following awards were presented:
Mason Sones Award for Distinguished Service
Arthur Lee, MD, FSCAI, Dennis Kim, MD, PhD, FSCAI, and Kalon K.L. Ho, MD, MSc, FSCAI, are this year's recipients of the F. Mason Sones Distinguished Service Award. The award, presented in honor of SCAI's co-founder, signifies excellence and dedication to education and quality of care.
SCAI Helping Hearts Lifetime Service Awards
George Vetrovec, MD, MSCAI, was honored as the Society's Helping Hearts Lifetime Service Award recipient. The award recognizes SCAI Fellows and Master Fellows who have been members for more than 25 years and have provided substantial and consistent service to the Society during that time.
Master Interventionalists of SCAI
Also recognized were the newest inductees as Master Interventionalists of SCAI (MSCAI), the highest distinction given by SCAI. The Society gives this distinction to Fellows nominated by their peers for outstanding clinical and research credentials. To be considered for the MSCAI designation, Fellows must have earned their FSCAI designation 10 or more years ago and been active in SCAI during that time. This year's nine MSCAI honorees are:
- David A. Cox, MD, MSCAI, of Lehigh Valley Health Network, Allentown, PA
- George D. Dangas, MD, PhD, MSCAI, of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
- James B. Hermiller, MD, MSCAI, of the St. Vincent Medical Group, Indianapolis, IN
- Clifford J. Kavinsky, MD, PhD, MSCAI, of Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Ill.
- John M. Lasala, MD, PhF, MSCAI, of the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO
- Roxana Mehran, MD, MSCAI, of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York, NY
- Ashok Seth, MD, MSCAI, of the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi, India
Best of the Best Abstract Award Recipients
Three abstracts from the adult cardiology and two abstracts from the pediatric/congenital heart disease programs received Best of the Best Abstract Awards at this year's meeting. Recipients from the SCAI 2017 adult cardiology program include:
- "Management and Outcomes of Perioperative Acute Myocardial Infarction after Non-Cardiac Surgery", by investigator Nathaniel Smilowitz, MD, of NYU Langone Medical Center in New York.
- "Association Between Hospital Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Volume and 30-Day Readmissions," by investigator Dhaval Kolte, MD, PhD, of Brown University in Rhode Island.
- "Outcomes of Endovascular versus Surgical Revascularization for Chronic Mesenteric Ischemia: Insights from the National Inpatient Sample Database," by investigator Fabio V. Lima, MD, MPH, Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital in Rhode Island.
Recipients from the pediatric/congenital heart disease program include:
- "Contrast volume to creatinine clearance ratio for the prediction of contrast-induced acute kidney injury after cardiac catheterization in adults with congenital heart disease," by investigator Laura Gellis, MD, Children's Hospital Boston in Massachusetts.
- "Utility of the Medtronic Microvascular Plug™ as an Implantable Pulmonary Artery Flow Restrictor in a Swine Model," by investigator Shyam Sathanandam, MD, FSCAI, University Of Tennessee /Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center, Memphis TN
Note to editors: To arrange an interview with the award recipients, please contact Kimberly Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the most up-to-date program information, please visit: http://www.