Renowned scientists and practitioners will address key topics in nutrition in the United States and around the globe at Nutrition 2018, the inaugural flagship meeting of the American Society for Nutrition.
Nutrition 2018 will be held June 9-12, 2018 at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston. Reporters and bloggers are invited to register for a complimentary press pass or follow along virtually. Explore the full schedule for a preview of scientific sessions and special events.
The meeting will feature the following notable speakers:
- MaryAnn Johnson, PhD is the Flatt Professor in Foods and Nutrition at the University of Georgia and current president of the American Society for Nutrition. She studies centenarians (people age 100 and older) and leads research and outreach programs focused on improving dietary habits, physical activity, and self-management of chronic diseases among older people. (Johnson will chair the Opening Session and Presidential Symposium: Innovative Policies for Food and Nutrition Assistance Programs on Saturday, June 9 from 3:30-5:15 p.m.)
- Steven Heymsfield, MD is Professor and Director of the Body Composition-Metabolism Laboratory at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center of the Louisiana State University System in Baton Rouge. His research focuses on topics including obesity, malnutrition, cachexia (wasting), body composition and caloric expenditure and he has served as a public advocate for the field of nutrition throughout his career. (Heymsfield will receive the W.O. Atwater Memorial Award and deliver a lecture on Sunday, June 10 from 5:30-6:30 p.m.)
- Robert E. Black, MD is Professor and Director of the Institute for International Programs of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. A noted medical epidemiologist who has worked at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and at institutions in Bangladesh and Peru, Black has conducted field trials of health technologies and evaluated health service programs in low- and middle-income countries. He also focuses on the use of evidence in policy and programs and received the Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter Humanitarian Award in 2016. (Black will receive the Robert Suskind and Leslie Lewinter-Suskind Pediatric Nutrition Lifetime Achievement Award and deliver a lecture on Monday, June 11 from 3:45-4:30 p.m.)
- Aryeh Stein, PhD, MPH is a Professor in the Hubert Department of Global Health of the Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, with a joint appointment in the Department of Epidemiology. Stein studies critical periods of susceptibility (e.g., gestation, childhood, adulthood) to nutritional deficits and surfeits in relation to the development of adult health and human capital. (Stein will deliver the E.V. McCollum International Lectureship in Nutrition on Monday, June 11 from 3:00-3:45 p.m.)
- Catherine A. Geissler, PhD is Professor Emerita of Human Nutrition at King's College London. She has conducted extensive work on international public health nutrition, energy metabolism and obesity, and iron metabolism and served as consultant to international development agencies and for programs in countries including Iran, Haiti, Mauritius, Sierra Leone, Niger, Benin, Senegal, Ghana, Ethiopia, Yemen, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and China. (Geissler will receive the Kellogg Prize for Lifetime Achievements in International Nutrition and deliver a lecture on Monday, June 11 from 6:45-8:00 p.m.)
Register for a free press pass
Join 3,000+ top researchers, practitioners and other professionals in a comfortable, accessible atmosphere. Qualifying journalists receive an embargoed press kit, access to our staffed on-site newsroom and a pass to attend all meeting sessions and events. Register now.
Access our Virtual Newsroom
If you can't attend the meeting, you can still get press releases and multimedia content online up to a week ahead of the presentations. Those with reporter access to EurekAlert! can find everything at our Virtual Newsroom. Alternatively, you may register to receive embargoed materials via email.
Stay in the know
Subscribe for updates, and we'll notify you when embargoed materials are available.
About the American Society for Nutrition (ASN)
ASN is the preeminent professional organization for nutrition research scientists and clinicians around the world. Founded in 1928, the society brings together the top nutrition researchers, medical practitioners, policy makers and industry leaders to advance our knowledge and application of nutrition. ASN publishes four peer-reviewed journals and provides education and professional development opportunities to advance nutrition research, practice and education. http://www.