Please find below the most important news that will be announced in connection with the 2019 ESMO World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer.
Press releases will be made available and press conferences organised on a daily basis, before and during the Congress. Media representatives are kindly requested to respect embargoes as indicated.
- Greater awareness needed of stomach cancer risk in under-40s, especially in Latin America (Abstract P-145), under embargo until Tuesday, 2 July 2019 at 8:00 CEST
- Randomised trial identifies optimal regimen of total neoadjuvant therapy for rectal cancer (Abstract O 011), under embargo until Thursday, 4 July 2019 at 9:30 CEST
- Targeted therapy combination improves survival in patients with advanced bowel cancer (Abstract LBA 006), under embargo until Saturday, 6 July 2019 at 11:00
- New clinical trial investigates the efficacy of a more flexible dose of regorafenib to relieve the side-effects in patients with metastatic colon cancer (Abstract O-026), under embargo until Saturday, 6 July 2019 at 11:00 CEST
Wednesday, 3 July, 11:45-12:30 (CEST) - Opening Press Conference:
- Patients living with metastatic colorectal cancer: what are their most pressing needs? An international survey (Abstract PD-023)
- ESMO World GI Cancer 2019: what to look out for
Thursday, 4 July, 8:00-8:45 (CEST) - Key studies of the day:
- O-011 - Randomized phase II trial of chemoradiotherapy plus induction or consolidation chemotherapy as total neoadjuvant therapy for locally advanced rectal cancer: CAO/ARO/AIO-12 - Hofheinz et al - under embargo until Thursday, 4 July 2019 at 9:30 CEST
- O-007 - ZEBRA: An ACCRU/IRCI multicenter phase II study of pembrolizumab in patients with advanced small bowel adenocarcinoma (SBA) - Pedersen et al - under embargo until Thursday, 4 July 2019 at 9:30 CEST
- O-008 - Proof of concept of the abscopal effect in MSS GI cancers: A phase 2 study of ipilimumab and nivolumab with radiation in metastatic pancreatic and colorectal adenocarcinoma - Parikh et al - under embargo until Thursday, 4 July 2019 at 9:30 CEST
- O-009 - Landscape of FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3 (FLT3) and associated molecular alterations in 44,766 gastrointestinal (GI) cancers - Puccini et al - under embargo until Thursday, 4 July 2019 at 9:30 CEST
- LBA-003 - A phase III study of TAS-118 plus oxaliplatin versus S-1 plus cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer (SOLAR study) - Kang et al - under embargo until Thursday, 4 July 2019 at 13:00 CEST
Friday, 5 July, 11:30-12:15 (CEST) - Key studies of the day:
- SO-009 - Phase 1 studies assessing the safety and clinical activity of autologous and allogeneic NKG2D-based CAR-T therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer - Van Cutsem et al - under embargo until Friday, 5 July 2019 at 09:20 CEST
- O-014 - Bevacizumab improves efficacy of trifluridine/tipiracil (TAS-102) in patients with chemorefractory metastatic colorectal cancer: a Danish randomized trial - Pfeiffer et al - under embargo until Friday, 5 July 2019 at 09:30 CEST
- O-015 - Randomised trial of cetuximab every 2 weeks with FOLFIRI or cetuximab with alternating FOLFIRI/FOLFOX in patients with RAS and BRAF wild type metastatic colorectal cancer: Nordic 8 results - Pfeiffer et al - under embargo until Friday, 5 July 2019 at 09:30 CEST
- O-026 - Results of REARRANGE trial: A randomized phase 2 study comparing different dosing approaches for regorafenib (REG) during the first cycle of treatment in patients (pts) with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) - Argilés et al - under embargo until Saturday, 6 July 2019 at 11:00 CEST
- LBA-006 - BEACON CRC: a randomized, 3-Arm, phase 3 study of encorafenib and cetuximab with or without binimetinib vs. choice of either irinotecan or FOLFIRI plus cetuximab in BRAF V600E - under embargo until Saturday, 6 July 2019 at 11:00 CEST
ESMO World GI Congress embargo policy
All abstracts will be made available online on Tuesday, 2 July 2019 at 8:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time).
Abstracts selected for Oral presentation (designated with an O or LBA or SO before their number) are embargoed until the end of the scientific session during which they are presented.
Further details on the embargo can be found here: https:/
The ESMO World GI Congress welcomes media interested in obtaining information and reporting on cancer issues. Registration is free to bona fide journalists on presentation of a letter of assignment and a valid press card.
Please follow the instructions of the Media registration process. Media registration in advance is strongly recommended.
For further information please contact:
ESMO Press Office
The International Convention Center of Barcelona
Centre de Convenciones Internacional de Barcelona (CCIB)
Placa de Willy Brandt 11-14
08019 Barcelona, Spain