SAN DIEGO, Nov. 8, 2019 -- The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) will hold its 178th meeting, Dec. 2-6, at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, California.
This major scientific conference brings together interdisciplinary groups of researchers spanning many fields, including physics, medicine, music, psychology, architecture and engineering, to discuss their latest research.
Reporters are invited to attend the meeting for free (see details below) and participate in a series of press conferences featuring a selection of newsworthy research. Reporters may also view a live media webcast of the press conference. The webcast will take place Tuesday, Dec. 3. Times and topics will be announced in November, and journalists may register to watch the webcast live at https:/
SAMPLING OF INTERESTING SESSIONS
- - Controlled drug delivery and release in brain tumors with focused ultrasound (Session 1aBAb6)
- Designing the quietest room in the world (Session 1pAA9)
- Call discrimination for an unknown pod of killer whales (Orcinus orca) in the Eastern Canadian Arctic (Session 2aAB8)
- Ultrasonic evaluation of bone health in patients (Session 2pBAb4)
- Comparison of two spectral-based techniques for estimating the attenuation coef?cient from human cervix (Session 2pBAb9)
- Exploring the effects of aircraft noise on bioacoustic activity in national parks (Session 3aAB5)
- Atom music: exploring the atomic world through sound (Session 3aMU2)
- Acoustic characteristics of belching in speech (Session 4aSC14)
- Background music contributes to errors in the operating room (Session 4pSC30)
- A comparison on sound quality of PLA 3D printing ukulele and single board wooden ukulele (Session 4aMU1)
- Effects of sound source and its direction on subjects' impression of soundscape in workplace (Session 4pAA1)
- EarthScope-Oceans: An array of floating MERMAID instruments for earthquake seismology (Session 5aAO4)
More information on these and all other meeting sessions is available at https:/
MORE MEETING INFORMATION
Main meeting website: http://acousticalsociety.
Technical program: https:/
Press Room: http://acoustics.
WORLDWIDE PRESS ROOM
In the coming weeks, ASA's Worldwide Press Room will be updated with additional tips on dozens of newsworthy stories and with lay language papers, which are 300-500 word summaries of presentations written by scientists for a general audience and accompanied by photos, audio and video. You can visit the site during the meeting at http://acoustics.
We will grant free registration to credentialed journalists and professional freelance journalists. If you are a reporter and would like to attend, contact the AIP Media Line at 301-209-3090. For urgent requests, staff at firstname.lastname@example.org can also help with setting up interviews and obtaining images, sound clips or background information.
LIVE MEDIA WEBCAST
Press briefings will be webcast live from the conference Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2019, in Hospitality Suite 3103 of the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. Register at https:/
ABOUT THE ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is the premier international scientific society in acoustics devoted to the science and technology of sound. Its 7,000 members worldwide represent a broad spectrum of the study of acoustics. ASA publications include The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (the world's leading journal on acoustics), Acoustics Today magazine, books, and standards on acoustics. The society also holds two major scientific meetings each year. For more information about ASA, visit our website at http://www.