ROCKVILLE, Md.— Four researchers and a clinician have been selected to present innovative research designs providing the latest insights into preventing and treating obesity during the 11th annual Obesity Journal Symposium. This event will be held during the 41st Annual Meeting of The Obesity Society (TOS) at ObesityWeek® 2023 scheduled for Oct. 14–17, in Dallas, Texas.
“The selected manuscripts showcase the journal’s strengths across all disciplines of obesity from clinical management, pediatric implications and behavioral predictors, to pre-clinical studies of novel pharmaceutical targets and translational research in skeletal muscle,” said Obesity Journal Symposium Chair and Obesity Associate Editor-in-Chief Leanne Redman, PhD, associate executive director for science education and professor of reproductive endocrinology and women’s health, Pennington Biomedical Research Center of the Louisiana State University System in Baton Rouge.
This year's presenters and papers are:
- Eduardo Freitas, PhD, Arizona State University and Mayo Clinic - ”Lower Muscle Protein Synthesis in Humans with Obesity Concurrent with Lower Expression of Muscle IGF-1 Splice Variants”
- Andrew Kolodziej, PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - ”Novel CB1R Inverse Agonist CRB-913 Enhances Efficacy of Tirzepatide, Semaglutide and Liraglutide in the DIO Mouse Model”
- Shan Luo, PhD, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California –"Associations Between Pre-natal Exposure to Gestational Diabetes Mellitus, Brain Structure and Child Adiposity Markers”
- Jacob Nudel, MD, Boston Medical Center, Lahey Hospital and Medical Center - ”A Machine Learning Framework for Optimizing Obesity Care by Simulating Clinical Trajectories and Targeted Interventions”
- Suzanne Phelan, PhD, California Polytechnic State University - ”Behavioral, Psychological and Environmental Predictors of Weight Regain in a Group of Successful Weight Losers in a Widely Available Weight Management Program”
An author of each featured paper will give a presentation followed by a Q&A session. The selected papers also will be featured in a special section of the November 2023 edition of Obesity.
The symposium will be hosted by the editorial team of Obesity, the flagship scientific journal of TOS. This event will take at 3:30 p.m. (CDT) on Monday, Oct. 16, 2023.
Media representatives interested in covering the journal symposium online need to register for ObesityWeek® 2023. Registration is free but a code is needed. The selected papers will be embargoed until 3 a.m. (EDT) on Oct. 16, 2023. Media representatives can request copies of the embargoed papers and/or a code by sending an email to TOS Director of Communications and Media Relations Chanel Carrington at email@example.com.
For more information, visit www.obesityweek.org and research the Interactive Schedule under the Program tab.
# # #
The Obesity Society (TOS) is the leading organization of scientists and health professionals devoted to understanding and reversing the epidemic of obesity and its adverse health, economic and societal effects. Combining the perspective of researchers, clinicians, policymakers and patients, TOS promotes innovative research, education and evidence-based clinical care to improve the health and well-being of all people with obesity. For more information, visit www.obesity.org.