MedAxiom, the premier source for cardiovascular organizational performance solutions, has released a report detailing cardiac rehabilitation (CR) industry insights and best practices that includes data from more than 70 cardiovascular programs from across the U.S.
- Most CR programs are net revenue positive, but reimbursement is the top barrier to CR program access and growth
- While 13% of survey participants currently offer a virtual CR service, more than half would like to offer the option
- Only 10% of programs offer intensive cardiac rehabilitation (ICR) programs; session completion rates are higher for ICR than for traditional CR programs
- Over half of survey participants offer a Phase III CR program; nearly 40% offer pulmonary rehab; nearly 30% offer supervised exercise therapy
- CR programs are typically overseen by hospitalist clinical leadership or cardiovascular service line leadership; the medical director role is key
The benefits of CR – a Class I indication in clinical guidelines for patients with chronic stable angina, STEMI and NSTEMI, heart failure, and those undergoing PCI and CABG – are well documented. However, only a fraction of eligible patients in the U.S. enroll in a program after a major cardiovascular event or diagnosis.
As part of its mission to transform care and improve heart health, MedAxiom is uniting the cardiovascular community to understand CR best practices and expand access to this proven strategy.
Click here to access the full report.
MedAxiom, an ACC Company, is the cardiovascular community’s premier source for organizational performance solutions. MedAxiom is transforming cardiovascular care by combining the knowledge and power of 425+ cardiovascular organization members, thousands of administrators, clinicians and coders and 35+ industry partners. Through the delivery of proprietary tools, smart data and proven strategies, MedAxiom helps cardiovascular organizations achieve the Quadruple Aim of better outcomes, lower costs, improved patient experience and improved clinician experience. For additional information, visit MedAxiom.com.