(COLUMBIA, MD)- The Children’s Cancer Foundation, Inc. (CCF), a 501(c)3 non-profit, committed to funding locally-based researchers, programs and facilities until every child is assured a healthy future, will present grants to eleven local pediatric oncology researchers at the 38th Annual Gala, to be held November 5, 2022 at Martin’s Crosswinds, in Greenbelt, MD.
The 2022 CCF Research Awards, combined with funding for local programs for children fighting cancer, total more than $1M.
The 2022 Research Awardees include:
- Curt I. Civin, M.D., University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Joanna Kitlinska, Ph.D., Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- David Milewski, Ph.D. National Cancer Institute at NIH
- Rosa Nguyen, M.D., Ph.D., National Cancer Institute at NIH, Next Gen Awardee
- Patience Odeniyide, M.D., Johns Hopkins Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Christine Pratilas, M.D., Johns Hopkins Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Juliana Carver Honorary Award
- Nirali Shah, M.D. National Cancer Institute at NIH
- Jeffrey Toretsky, M.D. Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, CCF Professor Award
- Aykut Üren, M.D. Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Todd Waldman, M.D, Ph.D. Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Jia-Ray Yu, Ph.D. Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC/Children’s National Hospital
Among this list is Rosa Nguyen, M.D., Ph.D., of the National Cancer Institute at NIH, who was selected to receive the 2022 CCF Giant Food NextGen Award-- a grant for a promising young pediatric cancer researcher to fund both their research and their professional advancement in the field. Dr. Nguyen will be the tenth recipient of this joint effort between CCF and Giant Food. Dr. Nguyen shared her research on neuroblastomas with other local researchers at the 6th Annual CCF Research Symposium in June: https://youtu.be/QUSfPBJf8FI.
In addition to the Research Awards, Non-Research Awards will be presented at the CCF Annual Gala. Recipients of the 2022 CCF Non-Research Awards include: The Claire Marie Foundation, The Children’s Inn at NIH, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Children’s National, Horizon Day Camp, Kennedy Krieger Institute, and Nigel’s Neighborhood. Since 1983, CCF has awarded grants of over $41M to area hospitals and researchers.
An open call for proposals for the 2023 CCF Research Awards will begin February 2023, with decisions made in July 2023. CCF research awards are selected by an independent panel of nationally-recognized pediatric cancer researchers. For more information, please contact the CCF office at 443-546-4479, or visit the website at www.childrenscancerfoundation.org.